Pages

7.14.2013

Glass - July Progress Update 1

Procrastination is a disgusting brain parasite, and sadly, I have acquired it.

In what little time I've actually spent on this project in the last few weeks, I've started putting together a graphical level builder. Before, I had been making levels by editing each levels' data in Notepad, which, as you might imagine, is somewhat inefficient. Java's swing package, which contains several GUI components and basic drawing functions, makes putting together something like this much easier than in libgdx, since I don't have to write my own buttons or deal with textures. It's kind of ugly, but very convenient.



In an ideal world, everybody would know the RGB color wheel and would be able to discern what proportion of red, green, and blue any color is made up of just by looking at it. Sadly, this is not how reality works, which forces me to devise some way of telling players what each target color is composed of. Currently, players touch each target to bring up a diagram that will tell them the exact composition of the target color. I've gone through several iterations of how this diagram should look/work, before settling on this one. All of the other ones either looked terrible, were too confusing, or both.

This lovely peach color is made of red at 100% power, green at 75% power, and blue at 50% power.
Each ring corresponds to either red, green, or blue, and the fraction that is lit represents how much of that color channel is required.

I'd like to have the user interface completely done before the end of next week, so let's hope that I can squish the procrastination wormthing.

1 comment: